Interact with the famous masterpiece of Vincent Van Gogh!
Watch the iconic flows of Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night" come to life, in a hypnotic animation! Drive the flows with your hand to create your own variation of the original painting! Dive in the landscape with immersive 3D zoom! Listen to the background ambient music, that is also responsive. Have an enchanting experience and re-discover a classic masterpiece.
- Touch to interact
- 'Double-tap' for settings
- 'Long-press' for pan/zoom
- Enchanting animation
- Dynamic interaction
- Creative / dreamy mode
- Two speed modes (constant / cycled)
- Customised speed
- Three responsive soundtracks
- Immersive 3D zoom and pan
For best iPad experience, disable "Multitasking Gestures".
Important Notes for iOS
- The app is optimized for iPhone5. Just zoom in (with 'long-press') to make the painting fill the whole screen.
- The app runs smoothly on iPad2, iPad mini, iPhone4s, iPod5 and newer devices.
- The app is not recommended for iPhone4 and iPod4.
- The app is not available for iPad1, iPhone3GS, iPod3 and older devices. These devices are excluded by the “front-facing-camera” requirement. The app itself is not using the camera at all.
Important Notes for Android
- The quality of the visual effects depends on your device hardware capabilities.
- The app will not run smoothly on older devices.
For any problems or questions, contact us at: email@example.com
The most important reviews follow:
- "Very cool! An interactive animation of van Gogh's 'The Starry Night'."
MoMA - The Museum of Modern Art of New York (facebook page on Feb 10th, 2012)
- "We find Vrellis' interactive piece enchanting - and even, given Van Gogh's tragic story, emotionally powerful."
- "Van Gogh's Starry Night modded into beautiful interactive light and sound show. ... This is one of those little projects you wish you could just play with the second you've seen it."
- "The effect is so beautiful and mesmerizing."
- "Vrellis took a piece with a seemingly unsurpassable amount of artistic merit, and breathed new life into it."
- "Bring a Van Gogh painting to life... This astonishing video will draw you in to an enchanting and psychedelic world."
- "Beauty through simplicity at its finest and most playful."
Creative Applications Network
- "A very fascinating version of ‘Starry Night’."
Today and tomorrow
- "This interactive version of Van Gogh’s Starry Night seems to be something wholly different and wonderful.”
Colossal art & design
- "The work finds success in subtlety.”
- "Designer Petros Vrellis adds a whole new dimension with his animated and interactive version of the painting"
Dutch daily news
- "The results, which also have a musical soundtrack, are quite stunning"
- "Some artists, for example Petros Vrellis, are using technology to unlock new dimensions in existing artworks. Petros hypnotised the world with his animated version of Starry Night by Van Gogh, capturing the imagination of a new generation of art lovers that seem more curious than ever, constantly asking 'what happens if we do this?' "
Alessandro Perilli, Senior leader in Red Hat, sponsor of Tate Exchange programme
Since 2012 "Starry Night interactive animation" was hosted in various new-media art exhibitions around the world, with the most important:
- N4YP - international festival, Berlin, Germany, 2012
- FILE festival, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2012
- My dream exhibition, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2012
- Visioneca - International film festival, Isle of Wight, UK, 2012
- MediArthek, Heilbronn University, Kunzelsau, Germany, 2013
- FILE festival, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2013
- KLIK festival, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2013
- FILE festival, Curitiba, Brazil, 2014
- Alberobello Light Festival, Bari, Italy, 2015
- Museum of Science, Boston, USA, 2015
- FILE festival, Brasília, Brazil, 2017